Thursday, January 26, 2012

Exercise 4: Grounding

This is a little late being posted.  I had thought I'd actually published but I only saved, so it was still in draft format. 

Oh, this is always a favorite.  Grounding has been a tool I've used for much of my life, and parts of it even before I realized or knew that's what it was I was doing.  I've used grounding techniques to help get rid of headaches, to center myself when too flighty and to get rid of excess energy that was leftover from some ritual or another.

My favorite grounding technique is a visual imagery one.  I envision an oak tree and begin by leaning against it.  Then a merge with it and start having roots growing down into the earth from any point that's touching the ground.  I'll then let the energy travel through the roots into the earth until I'm completely drained.  Before closing out I'll pull clean refreshed energy both from the roots and the leaves of the tree so that I won't be unbalanced or empty.

I've used another one where I'll place my forehead on the ground and then imagine pushing the energy through my third eye into the ground.  This tends to work best for me when it's more of a headache type situation rather than excess energy.

Funny thing is, I was just doing a Google search on grounding techniques and a couple of the ones I found struck me as rather odd.  One was talking about using ice cubes to stay in the present and the other mentioned rubber.  I must confess that I didn't read carefully as I clicked on the links, having 6 people yapping at you all at once tends to make that difficult.  It took me a little bit to realize that the first was talking about grounding to prevent reliving trauma and the other was talking about electrical grounding.  After that I added meditation and metaphysical to the search and it worked out better.

There was one that sounded like it was more protection than grounding, as the visual imagery was that of being enclosed in butterfly wings, and I think I'm going to give that a try the next time.  Right now I think I'm going to try grounding out this headache that seems to want to form.

No comments:

Post a Comment